About Us

The original homestead was built in 1903 by a Mr Nero, who perhaps was a descendant of the Emperor Nero who played a fiddle while Rome burned, the house was burnt down in 1933.

 

There was no access by road and all the building material had to be shipped in and carried up to the building site. The roofing tiles were made in France.

 

Mr Bushel of the Farmer Auctioneering Company had the house rebuilt on the same concrete foundations in 1936. In his employment at the time was a young man, Jack Main, who became a large property owner. Jack Main was an uncle of the current owners of this property.

 

Mr Bushel sold the property to John Bull, another large property owner, who owned it for 34 years before selling it to Ron & Jamie Main in 1977. They lived in the house and raised their family of 2 boys and 2 girls before changing it into a lodge in 2004.

 

The total area was laid out in garden and paths; some of the paths, old pipes and taps are still visible. Rainwater was collected off the roof and piped in to where the wine cellar is now. The area where the tennis court is now and the land above it was cultivated and grapes were grown. Three adjoining properties at the top of the hill were sold in the 1950’s.

The reception office is one of the original buildings having been built in the early 1900’s. The original homestead was built in 1903 by a Mr Nero, who perhaps was a descendant of the Emperor Nero who played a fiddle while Rome burned, the house was burnt down in 1933.

 

There was no access by road and all the building material had to be shipped in and carried up to the building site. The roofing tiles were made in France.

 

Mr Bushel of the Farmer Auctioneering Company had the house rebuilt on the same concrete foundations in 1936. In his employment at the time was a young man, Jack Main, who became a large property owner. Jack Main was an uncle of the current owners of this property.

 

Mr Bushel sold the property to John Bull, another large property owner, who owned it for 34 years before selling it to Ron & Jamie Main in 1977. They lived in the house and raised their family of 2 boys and 2 girls before changing it into a lodge in 2004.

 

The total area was laid out in garden and paths; some of the paths, old pipes and taps are still visible. Rainwater was collected off the roof and piped in to where the wine cellar is now. The area where the tennis court is now and the land above it was cultivated and grapes were grown. Three adjoining properties at the top of the hill were sold in the 1950’s.

 

Join our mailing list for updates

Visit our main website www.peppersonthepoint.co.nz

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Trip Advisor

©2023 The Mains at Peppers on the Point